Sunday, August 3, 2008

Life and death on the fringe

In 1978, the first time I played the fringe, I totalled 18 people in my first week of my run. I was the only show at the venue (The French Institute) not to have had a reviewer from The Scotsman. Well…unknown actor, unknown author, play, director…who’s interested? So in desperation on the Tuesday of the second week I went to the phone box on the camp site where we were staying, and putting on my best Scottish accent, phoned The Scotsman.

I asked for the editor and incredibly, they put me through. In character as an irate Scotsman I told him that I’d seen the best show so far in the Festival (mine) and that the poor actor performing (me) was dying the death from lack of audiences, due to lack of review etc. etc. and it was scandalous that he hadn’t sent a reviewer along. Damn me if he didn’t apologise and promise to send a reviewer asap. Which he did. It was Robin (or Robbie) Dinwoodie, who gave me a good reviw, and I got great audiences…for the last three nights.

No comments: